What is the STEM Scale-Up Program?
The STEM Scale-Up Program finds some of the state’s and nation’s high-quality programs and delivers them to Iowa educators. Each year, the STEM Council equips thousands of educators with STEM programs that inspire nearly 100,000 Iowa youth.
Ten programs complete the 2019-2020 STEM Scale-Up Program menu, including:
- Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE) Food and Science Safety: Stimulate actual concepts and situations found in the food science and safety industry. This course offers hands-on activities, projects and problems in areas of food safety, chemistry, processing, product development and marketing.
- Computer Science Discoveries: Inspire students as they build their own websites, apps, games and physical computing devices. This course takes a wide lens on computer science by covering topics such as programming, physical computing, HTML/CSS and data.
- Computer Science Fundamentals: Foster equity and diversity in the classroom, breaking down barriers and stereotypes around computer science. This course is designed to be flexible for the classroom.
- Computer Science Principles: Introduce students to the foundational concepts of computer science and challenge them to explore how computing and technology can impact the world. This course is a rigorous, engaging and approachable exploration of the foundational ideas of computing
- Engineer Your World: Engage learners in collaborative, student-directed projects that build creative problem-solving and engineering design skills. This course is designed to teach the value of collaborating to solve complex, modern problems and create a strong foundation for future STEM learning.
- Light and Shadow: Create new and worthwhile ideas while exploring light to create shadows through creativity and innovation. This course encourages teachers to re-envision their classroom, routines and schedules to optimize students’ learning
- Making STEM Connections: Engage students through making and tinkering and build conceptual understanding around academic content. This course is designed to empower teachers to cultivate engaging, purposeful and successful extensions of already developed curriculum.
- Pint Size Science: Engage and inspire young minds to explore scientific phenomena. This course is designed to build science understanding and respond to the ever changing interests and abilities of children.
- STEM in Action: Incorporate three-dimensional learning with an emphasis on authentic hands-on, problem-based learning. This course follows the Engineering Design Process of defining the problem, planning solutions, making a prototype, reflecting, communicating results and redesigning
- STEM Innovator: Transform the classroom into incubator spaces where student teams solve real-world problems alongside industry mentors. This course prepares students with the skills and mindset to persist in STEM education, pursue STEM careers and become innovators of the future.
Who can apply?
One of the priorities of the STEM Council is to achieve STEM for all! That means any formal or informal Iowa educator is eligible to apply.
For more information or to apply, visit www.IowaSTEM.gov/scale-up