The 2017 STEM Day at the Fair is scheduled for Sunday, August 20, 2017.
For this family-friendly event, we fill the State Fair’s Grand Concourse with opportunities to learn about how STEM touches our lives daily and to experience hands-on activities from more than 25 organizations across the state.
The Iowa STEM booth on the East end of the STEM exhibits will hand out FREE drawstring backpacks and collect your "STEM Day at the Fair Checklist" to win cool prizes. Once you've got hands-on with STEM, take a seat and enjoy a STEM stage performance. One will happen every hour on the big STEM Stage located with the exhibits on the Grand Concourse.
The festivities last from 9:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. with admission tickets to the State Fair discounted that day at:
- $6 for adults ages 12+
- $3 for children ages 6-11
- Free for children under age 5
- Ace Mentor Program of Central Iowa
- FIRST in Iowa (FLL, Jr., FLL, FTC and FRC)
- Grant Wood Area Education Agency
- Grout Museum District
- IEEE Central Iowa Section
- Iowa Agriculture Literacy Foundation
- Iowa Lakes Community College
- Iowa Public Television
- Iowa State University Engineering and Community Outreach
- John Deere
- Kemin Industries
- Million Women Mentors Iowa
- National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Program for Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE)
- Project Lead The Way
- Rockwell Collins
- Science Center of Iowa
- Sylvan Learning Centers
- University of Iowa SySTEMs of Discovery
- University for Northern Iowa STEM
- Vermeer Corporation
2017 Stage Acts
- 10:00 a.m. — Blank Park Zoo
- 11:00 a.m. — Grout Museum District: Mad Mixture
- 12:00 p.m. — Remarks by STEM Council Co-chairs
- 1:00 p.m. — Team Neutrino (FIRST Robotics Team #3928)
- 2:00 p.m. — Science Center of Iowa: Deep Freeze!
- 3:00 p.m. — Iowa State University: Water Rocks!
- 4:00 p.m. — Iowa State University Professor Steve Butler: Mathematics and Cards
Extend your experience beyond STEM Day at the Fair and take part in the Fair's first-ever Fair-ovation!
New this year, the Iowa State Fair with the Governor's STEM Advisory Council will be hosting Fair-ovation Sunday, August 13, at the Oman Family Youth Inn for grades 3rd - 12th. Fair-ovation is an opportunity to gain feedback on your ideas, inventions and concepts from professionals in a variety of fields, all while vying for the top prize! This contest is open to individuals and teams. Learn more.
To see more about the event, check out our 2016 event report.
For more information on the Iowa State Fair, visit http://www.iowastatefair.org/.