STEM Day at the Capitol
With the goal of updating Iowa lawmakers on Iowa STEM, the STEM Council alongside partners in STEM from across Iowa talk with legislators to showcase hands-on, interactive, and student-focused learning innovations at STEM Day at the Capitol.
The 2018 STEM Day at the Capitol sponsored by ITC Midwest and Rockwell Collins gathered 34 interactive exhibits, staffed by nearly 200 people. Together, they helped tell the story of the growing partnerships between the STEM Council and entities across all sectors of Iowa, including the program providers the for STEM Scale-Up Program, STEM BEST Program, STEM Seal of Approval, Iowa STEM Network Hub Institutions, youth agencies, nonprofits and more.
Gov. Kim Reynolds acknowledged the progress made by this group and the importance of STEM education in Iowa. Lt. Gov. Adam Gregg followed, thanking exhibitors for their tireless work and dedication to advancing STEM in the state. In a uniquely STEM-like fashion of bipartisanship, Sen. Amy Sinclair, Sen. Bill Dotzler, Rep. Kevin Koester and Rep. Dave Jacoby each shared their own observations of Iowa’s STEM progress in earning their support as key in producing Iowa’s next generation of skilled innovators.
Kemin Industries Vice President and General Counsel Libby Nelson rallied attendees around what has become a signature program of the STEM Council, recognizing six outstanding Iowa educators, one per STEM region, who earned the 2018 I.O.W.A. STEM Teacher Award, generously sponsored by Kemin Industries. All leaders remained at the podium to congratulate the six honored teachers.
Between the exhibitors and the legislators invited, the Capitol Rotunda drew in a large crowd focused on the STEM happening around Iowa.
2018 Exhibitors included:
- AAUW “Tech Trek” CampSTEM Innovator
- Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE)
- Drake University K-12 STEM Outreach
- FIRST Robotics Competition
- Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa
- Iowa Agriculture Literacy Foundation
- Iowa Air National Guard
- Iowa Lakes Community College K-12 STEM Outreach
- Iowa State University K-12 STEM Outreach
- Iowa STEM Teacher Externships Program
- Iowa Governor’s STEM Advisory Council
- ITC K-12 STEM Outreach
- John Deere K-12 STEM Outreach
- Making STEM Connections
- Microsoft Imagine Academy
- Million Women Mentors - Iowa
- Project Lead The Way
- Ramps and Pathways
- Rockwell Collins K-12 STEM Outreach
- Southwestern Community College K-12 STEM Outreach
- State Hygienic Laboratory
- STEM BEST Program Ankeny Community Schools
- STEM BEST Program Cedar Falls Community Schools
- STEM BEST Program Davenport West High School
- STEM BEST Program Iowa Big North
- STEM BEST Program Iowa City Community Schools
- STEM BEST Program Oelwein Community Schools
- STEM BEST Program Spirit Lake Middle School
- STEM BEST Program Waukee APEX
- STEM BEST Program West Liberty Community Schools
- STEM Innovator
- University of Iowa - Kirkwood Community College K-12 STEM Outreach
- University of Northern Iowa K-12 STEM Outreach
- World Food Prize