With the goal of updating Iowa lawmakers on Iowa STEM, the STEM Council alongside partners in STEM from across Iowa talk with legislators to showcase hands-on, interactive, and student-focused learning innovations at STEM Day at the Capitol.
The 2019 STEM Day at the Capitol sponsored by Collins Aerospace and Vermeer gathered 32 interactive exhibits, staffed by nearly 200 people. Together, they helped tell the story of the growing partnerships between the STEM Council and entities across all sectors of Iowa, including the program providers the for STEM Scale-Up Program, STEM BEST Program, STEM Seal of Approval, Iowa STEM Network Hub Institutions, youth agencies, nonprofits and more.
Lt. Gov. Adam Gregg acknowledged the progress made by this group and emphasized the importance of STEM education in Iowa. STEM Council Co-Chair and Accumold President/CEO Roger Hargens thanked exhibitors for their tireless work and dedication to advancing STEM in the state. Special Guest United States Patent and Trademark Office Director Andrei Iancu provided a national perspective. In a uniquely STEM-like fashion of bipartisanship, Sen. Bill Dotzler, Sen. Chris Cournoyer, Rep. Cecil Dolecheck and Rep. Dave Jacoby each shared their own observations of Iowa’s STEM progress in earning their support as key in producing Iowa’s next generation of skilled innovators.
Kemin Industries Vice President and General Counsel Libby Nelson rallied attendees around what has become a signature program of the STEM Council, recognizing six outstanding Iowa educators, one per STEM region, who earned the 2019 I.O.W.A. STEM Teacher Award, generously sponsored by Kemin Industries. All leaders remained at the podium to congratulate the six honored teachers.
Between the exhibitors and the legislators invited, the Capitol Rotunda drew in a large crowd focused on the STEM happening around Iowa.
2019 Exhibitors included:
- STEM Innovator
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office/Lemelson MIT InvenTeam
- Iowa STEM Teacher Externships Program
- Iowa Governor’s STEM Advisory Council
- Microsoft Imagine Academy
- Making STEM Connections and Pint Size Science
- Computer Science Fundamentals, Discoveries, Principles
- Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE): Food Science Safety
- University of Northern Iowa K-12 STEM Outreach
- Southwestern Community College K-12 STEM Outreach
- Drake University K-12 STEM Outreach
- Camp Invention
- Iowa Agriculture Literacy Foundation
- World Food Prize
- Vermeer Yellow Iron Academy
- Million Women Mentors - Iowa
- STEM BEST: Des Moines Independent Community Schools (Central Campus)
- STEM BEST: Keokuk Community Schools
- STEM BEST: Ottumwa Community Schools
- Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa
- STEM BEST Program: Sioux City Community Schools
- STEM BEST Program: St. Theresa Catholic Schools
- Collins Aerospace K-12 STEM Outreach
- John Deere K-12 STEM Outreach
- Engineer Your World
- STEM BEST Program: Central Community Schools
- STEM BEST Program: Cedar Falls Community Schools
- STEM BEST Program: CAM Community Schools
- University of Iowa - Kirkwood Community College K-12 STEM Outreach
- Iowa Lakes Community College K-12 STEM Outreach
- Iowa State University K-12 STEM Outreach
- Iowa Air National Guard