The concept was hatched by the STEM Council in its first year: Devise a system by which youth across Iowa, especially those most deserving, enjoy some of the best STEM education kits, curricula, software, games and courses the world has to offer. Scale-Up was born, the most heavily invested program of any conducted by the Council’s network team. Now approaching its ninth year, a new set of thirteen highly-anticipated STEM Scale-Up Programs are being made available to cross-curricular educators from PreK-12 schools, afterschool programs and other educational organizations.
Thousands of Iowa educators are equipped with high-quality STEM Scale-Up Programs, engaging nearly 100,000 students in STEM activities and units each year. Students who participate in the STEM Scale-Up Program have a proven success rate of performing better on the Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress compared to students who did not receive STEM Scale-Up Programming.
The STEM Scale-Up Program menu includes:
- Bootstrap: Data Science for Grade Levels 8-12
- Computer Science Discoveries for Grade Levels 6-10
- Computer Science Fundamentals for Grade Levels K-5
- Computer Science Principles for Grade Levels 9-12
- Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education – Agricultural Power and Technology for Grade Levels 9-12
- Desmos Middle School Math for Grade Level 8
- Differentiated Math Centers for Grade Levels K-5
- Pint Size Science for Grade Levels PreK-2
- Project Lead the Way Computer Science: Cybersecurity for Grade Levels 9-12
- STEM in Action for Grade Levels PreK-5
- STEM Innovator for Grade Levels 6-12
- VEX IQ Challenge Robotics Education and Competition for Grade Levels 4-8
- VEX V5 Robotics Education and Competition for Grade Levels 9-12
The STEM Scale-Up Program application period closes on March 2, 2020. Award recipients for the 2020-2021 STEM Scale-Up Program will be announced April 7, 2020. Professional development training will be held for educators during the summer for implementation in the fall.